Thursday, October 26, 2006

Now comes the hard part



We have at last reached the final third of the book! Woo hoo!

Last Thursday we reached a milestone that finally defines Thatcher and turns him to his life of piracy. We have put him through hell and back again. I have wedged in more early 17th Century history than anyone may think they wish to know (dear editor, be sensitive to the reader but, please, be kind to me) but, Gaea, I hope readers will think Clancy and Michener and hang in there to see why I put them through the lecture. Really, kids, trust me. You'll want to know this stuff because, when all is said and done, it will make your blood boil. It may even make you sympathize a bit with those who chose the piratical life and my brothers in the hood will totally relate! You want gangsta? Thatcher was the OGP!

Interesting feedback on the Human Rights Reports. Yeah, I am obsessive. But I am hopeful. Knowledge sparks action. Perhaps a little knowledge will inspire others to look beyond their own front porch. I'll be moving to Africa on my next report.

Pen's friend Kristen flew into Zihuatanejo and we spent a long weekend along the Pacific coast of Mexico. I realize how much I miss California and my beaches. The Carolina Coast is beautiful but there is something about the wildness, the unpredictability of the Pacific that takes my breath away. We stayed primarily in Troncones at the Burro Borracho (the Drunken Burro). Troncones is a surfer's paradise and I've found a little piece of land separated from most of humanity by a creek that is about two feet deep at low tide and no bridges to reach it. If the book sells, I'm buying it and building Casa Pirata del Diente del Sable, the House of the Saber Tooth Pirate. The land is ringed by mountains and the little bahia is un-navigable as a result of these massive stones spires ringing the beach that remind me of a tiger's mouth. It is simply beautiful and begging for me to build on it. We also chartered a boat for the day in Zihuatanejo that carried us out to sea and along the rugged Mexican coastline where we found a quiet little cove to snorkel and swim. The weather was magnificent and the scenery beautiful. I didn't realize how much I needed a break. I had a chance to chill and do a little pleasure reading about Robinson Crusoe, which was fitting as Daniel Defoe plays a critical role in the novel.

We are back in Patzcuaro and will start writing again on Saturday. We have a goal to try to finish the first draft before our friend Julie arrives for a visit over Thanksgiving. It will be long hours at the computer but we are fixated on the goal. Kristen is getting a taste of Mexican mountain life and how one must live without the Blackberry and cell phone. As both are digital communicators and most of Mexico is still analog, the devices are incompatible with reality. But we have the Internet and our basic analog cell phone so we aren't totally cut off from the outside world. It gives us a chance to rediscover the wonderful art form of letter writing.

I'm energized and rejuvenated and ready to push this baby out so please keep sending your love and support. It is definitely appreciated and motivating.

Currently reading : In Search of Robinson Crusoe By Timothy Severin Release date: By 28 May, 2002

1 Comments:

At Sat Nov 04, 01:33:00 PM CST, Blogger Dave Carroll said...

Thanks sweetie.

You will be getting one of the first hot off the presses.

I have been a bit holed up writing and, typically, I'm the one behind the camera. I'll be posting new pictures soon. I'm looking very much the pirate author these days I must tell you.

We're getting down to the wire and pushing hard to finish the first draft by the end of November. We may not quite make it but it is a goal just the same.

Give our love to everyone and thank you for the encouragement! It really keeps us motivated.

Dave

 

Post a Comment

<< Home