Monday, April 20, 2009

Back to work

So, after almost two years of neglect, it's time to get back to the Human Rights World Post. I wish time allowed me to elaborate on the long lapse since the last post or my intent for the future. Suffice it to say, I hope to use this space to give frequent updates on the state of human rights on both a macro level, such as the Human Rights Summit now underway in Geneva or my most recent Pax Gaea Human Rights Report. I just completed my second year and second round of updates, With over 240 countries and polling nearly 500 sources from Human Rights organizations around the globe, Pax Gaea is one of a kind.

Human Rights means different things to different people. For me, they mean the fundamental expectations that the governed should always expect from their government. It is not only because it is the right way to treat people but is the best assurance the world has towards achieving real and lasting peace. Basic decency, the right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" is not just a loft ideal espoused some 233 years ago by American revolutionaries, but the very least we should all expect from those who lead and lord over us.

If you haven't checked out Pax Gaea in awhile, please do. Ours is a magnificent world peopled by fascinating, amazing, inspiring and, sometimes, heart-breaking individuals. We are a species with amazing potential and, sadly, seldom aware of how far we've come and how far we have to go before we live up to our ultimate potential.

Enjoy.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home